Assertiveness and Influencing Skills
Duration: 1 day
This is a highly interactive and practical course which will help you to use assertive behaviour to deal more effectively with interpersonal situations.
This workshop has been specifically designed to give you an opportunity to learn and test a range of influencing and assertiveness models and techniques.
The course is aimed at anyone who interacts with others on a regular basis, especially those in multi disciplinary, matrix type organisations where healthy debate and challenge are key to achieving optimum resolutions.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Utilise a variety of new techniques to enhance your influencing skills
- Achieve better outcomes by choosing an assertive approach when needed
- Feel more confident and be more effective when working in groups / meetings
- Recognise and define what assertive behaviour is and its benefits
- Recognise the impact of non-verbal communication and use it to enhance influencing behaviours
- Use language skills necessary to get you message across in an influential or assertive way
- Assert your rights in a reasonable way
- Identify behaviours that can help or hinder interactions with others
- Apply different techniques for dealing with aggression
- Sources of power
- Influencing skills
- Choosing the right approach
- When to be assertive and alternative behaviours
- Behavioural styles and their impact on working relationships
- Identifying different behaviour types:
- Building confidence
- Negotiating a win win result
- Communication skills – the language of influence
- Communication dynamics
- Different influencing techniques and when to use them
- The art of saying ‘No’
- Having the confidence to challenge
- Receiving criticism assertively
- Assertiveness behaviour analysis
- Meeting skills
- Giving and receiving feedback
- The language of assertion
- Dealing with confrontation and challenges in a confident manner
- Dealing with aggression
- Practical exercises
- Case studies
- Personal action planning
I would recommend the course, very helpful and provides a good in depth knowledge of types of ways to be influencing and assertive. Well ran and interactive, the interactive nature was useful.
Excellent course and trainer, I would recommend it. I found the course very engaging as well as very informative. I acquired several tips that I will put into practice in the workplace and my personal life. I enjoy the different exercises to break the day up, it kept me engaged throughout the whole session. What I found most useful were the different tactics used and explained. This way if one technique didn’t work for me personally, several other options were explored.
Colin was very engaging with the group; encouraging interactions; role playing and challenging views on how to react / relate to uncomfortable situations. The course covered the majority of areas on where assertiveness and influencing skills would come into play; whether it be in the work place or in day to day life. It was very informative, encouraging and confidence building. I certainly came away with useful tips and a much more developed self awareness (self-esteem) and a positive outlook on how to handle uncomfortable situations in the future. Everything went smoothly; venue, scheduling; training – all worked perfectly well.
I would recommend the course, it has had an impact on my relationships at work. Delivery of the training was excellent and very interactive.