Developing Project Sponsorship
Duration: 1 day
This workshop is designed to investigate, understand and develop the role of the project sponsor.
By taking elements of effective governance from the guidance published by the APM (Association for Project Management) and Axelos Managing Successful Programmes, an improved project sponsor capability can be developed. The workshop will also explore the importance of the relationship between sponsor and project manager and how this can be improved.
Whilst predominately designed for the project sponsor role, there is provision for a discussion with project manager representatives to agree an action plan to improve the delivery of projects within an organisation.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Describe and commit to the role of the Project Sponsor
- Identify the key principles of governance that can contribute to success
- Describe the environment in which the projects are delivered
- Explain the financial and resource constraints within the project environment
- Define the criteria used for project selection
- Identify the expectations of key stakeholders and develop a clear communication plan to engage with them
- Identify and resolve areas of conflict
- Describe the relationship with the Project Manager
- Create an effective environment and relationship for project success
- The Project Environment
- The Principles of Governance
- The background to the training
- The Project Sponsor
- The Project Manager
- The Project Board
- Defining Project Selection Criteria and Prioritisation
- Business Case and Justification
- Finance and Funding
- Resourcing the projects
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Project Governance
- Resolving conflict between stakeholders
- Benefits Realisation
- Capitalising the lessons learned during project reviews
- The relationship with the Project Manager and team
- Action Plan for the future
The workshop will use case studies drawn from previous client projects, both successful and less successful.
Excellent course and trainer. I would recommend this course, it was a good mix between discussion and sharing of good practice/expectations. This was ideal for what we needed. Discussion was specific to our organisation and the material/delivery encouraged this debate.
Very interesting and thought provoking. Sponsors are probably doing many of the activities without recognizing that they are carrying out sponsorship activities. However I think there was a realization that the sponsors are actually responsible for delivering the benefits of the project.
I would recommend the course to others as an initiation to project sponsorship. The trainer was very well-informed and was not phased by any of the discussions the material teased out. The course content was an introduction to sponsorship as there were some complete beginners in the group. I found the structure plain and simple and the explanations easy to follow. The content sent out the right messages about responsibility and accountability which was the main focus for our company. Overall the session was very useful.
Excellent course and trainer. I would recommend the course, good content and trainer.